Fantasy MLS for 2017 is a wildcard every week. In this piece, we explore the options available to brand new players and veterans alike as we attempt to predict the round’s Dream Team. I will primarily look at matchups and form as we pick the strongest team at $100m starting salary.
- Goalkeeper – Deric $5.0 HOU: Picking a GK is not going to be easy. A single goal can ruin the decision, but Houston’s revamped defense could stifle Columbus at home. He’s a cheap option with a huge upside.
- Defender – Lima $4.5 SJ: A starter on a solid defense at $4.5, yes please.
- Defender – Long $5.0 NYRB: Long really shined in the Red Bull’s opening round. With a decent matchup, he’s worth the risk.
- Defender – Davies $4.5 VAN: As long as the 16 year old is hot and playing out of position, he’s virtually a must own.
- Midfielder – Valeri $10.0 POR: The only premium midfielder in the lineup. He’s hot after a great opening round and playing against a weakened LAG side.
- Midfielder – Godoy $7.0 SJ: Godoy really shined during opening weekend. In his form and at $7.0, he’s going to be hard to pass on.
- Midfielder – Nagbe $8.5 POR: We are doubling up on Portland mids, and why not, they look to be in form.
- Midfielder – Davis $6.5 NYRB: Another product of a strong team and a bit of roster shuffling. Adding Nagbe means downgrading the 4th midfielder, but Davis is a steady point producer.
- Forward – Giovinco $12.0 TFC: We can expect big things from Giovinco following his dismal opening weekend. Philly’s defense isn’t as strong.
- Forward – Villa $10.0 NYC: A home game in Yankee stadium is just the place for Villa to open his account for the season.
- Forward – Giovani dos Santos $10.0 LAG: Portland’s defense is beat up so expect LA’s main man to get tons of chances.
- Goalkeeper – Cropper $4.0 NE
- Defender – Medranda $5.0 SKC
- Defender – Guillen $4.0 DAL: Switcheroo Candidate
- Midfielder – Tabla $4.0 MTL
This lineup builds heavily on player form from the Opening Weekend Challenge. We saw several players and teams show up ready to play. For this round, we are following the tried and true method of business in the front, party in the back. There are enough attacking players with the right matchups to risk throwing it all forward.
Attacking options from LA and Portland will be wise choices given the defensive struggles both teams are facing.
- Giovinco versus Philadelphia is the obvious choice this week. Their defense is down and he’s clearly upset about missing a penalty. Expect him to take it out on the Union.