Fantasy MLS for 2017 is a wildcard every week. In this piece, we explore the options available to brand new players and veterans alike as we attempt to predict the round’s Dream Team. We will primarily look at matchups and form as we pick the strongest team at $100m starting salary.
Best XI Predictions 2017 – Round 17
- Goalkeeper – Lampson $4.8 CHI: Despite 120 minutes of USOC action, Lampson is still one of the best options for the round, especially given his price.
- Defender – Opara $6.4 SKC: Not only is Opara anchoring a clean sheet heavy defense, he’s finding his scoring form. If this keeps up, managers can’t afford to be without him.
- Defender – Medranda $5.8 SKC: Medranda has been a rotation risk, but that changes with Benny Feilhaber’s injury. Medranda will play the 10 until Benny returns. How can anyone pass on that.
- Defender – Vincent $5.4 CHI: Vincent is priced right for this squad and should do well with a favorable matchup.
- Midfielder – Piatti $10.8 MTL: It’s been a long time coming, Piatti is back in Best XI. A home game against DC is too good of a matchup to pass on.
- Midfielder – Dzemaili $8.8 MTL: A large part of Montreal’s return to form centers around the addition of Dzemaili. Knowing how powerful they can be, he’s arguably a must own against DC.
- Midfielder – Higuain $10.6 CLB: It’s a tough call picking between Higuaín and Meram. Go with your gut, but one of the two needs be included as Atlanta come to town.
- Midfielder – Schwinsteiger $9.6 CHI: Vancouver isn’t that strong on the road. Taking Bastian here is a safe bet.
- Midfielder – Fernandes $8.3 SKC: SKC are without Benny and Dom Dwyer. That leaves Fernandes as the headlining goal scorer. Against Portland at home, SKC should get work done.
- Forward – Villa $11.3 NYC: Minnesota has been putting it together, but they are missing several key players in the back. Villa should capitalize.
- Forward – Nikolic $10.6 CHI: Nikolic or Accam. Take your pick. Accam had it last week, so it’s Niko’s turn to shine.
- Goalkeeper – Brown $4.0 HOU
- Defender – Guillen $3.7 DAL
- Defender – Schmidt $3.7 RSL
- Forward- Edwards $3.9 TFC
Total Value: $107.7
This round is all about taking advantage of the home matchups and doubling up where needed. It could be argued that two mids from both Montreal and Columbus should be brought in and that Blessing and Gerso should both be included from SKC, but that’s a bit too risky for most. The defensive matchups aren’t stellar, so go with proven players.
Villa is ripe for a good game, but Piatti is the safer option. Forwards can burn a manager way to easily so going safe this week and banking on a poor showing by DC. Piatti gets the armband.