Fantasy MLS for 2017 is a wildcard every week. In this piece, we explore the options available to brand new players and veterans alike as we attempt to predict the round’s Dream Team. We will primarily look at matchups and form as we pick the strongest team at $100m starting salary.
The heavy forward lineup definitely didn’t pay off with Giovinco and dos Santos both netting a single point. Depending on how you stacked your defensive subs, you got a nice return from the bench with Davies not starting.
The lineup beat the average, but was dreadful compared to the highest round score.
- Total Score: 75
- Average: 55 (+20)
- Highest: 130 (-55)
- Value Increase: $0.8 (Respectable)
- Goalkeeper – Bingham $6.0 SJ: San Jose’s defense has looked good with just a couple of exceptions. SKC takes a lot of shots, but their conversion rate is low. Bingham is ripe for a clean sheet.
- Defender – Lima $4.6 SJ: Lima opened his scoring account last week, but he’s also proven himself a worthy defender. One of the best at the price.
- Defender – Davies $4.5 VAN: Although he was rested last week, he’s worth keeping in the lineup once again. He’s out of position and too valuable to drop.
- Defender – Medranda $5.0 SKC: While the clean sheet may not be there, he’s generating bonus points in the attack as a winger. Much like Davies, he’s hard to pass on.
- Midfielder – Valeri $10.1 POR: It’s hard to say no to Valeri when Portland is at home.
- Midfielder – Almiron $9.2 ATL: After the showing he just gave us, he’s a no brainer unless you think the Chicago defense is legit.
- Midfielder – Godoy $7.2 SJ: Godoy leading MLS Fantasy is due in large part to two uncharacteristic goals, but he’s still got 16 points in two games without them. There is no better production at this price.
- Midfielder – Alex $7.7 HOU: Houston have found a new playmaker in the midfield and he’s living up to the hype. He’s also a fantasy gold mine at the price.
- Midfielder – Moralez $9.2 NYC: Moralez showed what he is capable of in round two. With Montreal’s counter being so effective, look for him to have another great game.
- Forward – Villa $10.2 NYC: Villa is home again in a heavyweight Eastern Conference matchup against Montreal. Montreal’s defense has been a bit shaky so far.
- Forward – Larin $9.0 ORL: He’s got a home game against Philly, which could be problematic, but without Kaka, he’s the star on the field. Expect him to carry the load.
- Goalkeeper – Cropper $4.0 NE
- Defender – Schmidt $4.0 RSL
- Defender – Smith $3.9 LA
- Forward – McBean $5.4 LA
This squad is relying on home field advantage to gain most of its points. The players selected routinely do well at home. There are several exceptional budget options that are hard to ignore. The bench is built for the value game as well. All four bench players have played this season with three having started a game. All four could potentially start this week which kills the switcheroo, but increase the change for value changes.
There is a big snub this week however. Ignacio Piatti has not been included despite the potential for his matchup. Most likely he would replace Almiron, but Almiron’s price and matchup take precedence.
Villa at home against Montreal is the gutsy captain selection. He normally plays well and he’s a great option to try boost your overall position. The safer pick would be Valeri. He may not have the ceiling, but he’s consistent and likely to help you maintain your position.