DC United 1 vs. FC Dallas 2
FC Dallas absolutely steamrolled DC United even though the score doesn’t suggest so. FC Dallas had 26 shots, 8 on goal, to DC’s 6 shots, 2 on goal. Oh and DC United didn’t even score their goal, it took an unlucky bounce off of Hedges to get their goal. Basically FC Dallas should’ve had multiple goals this game, and looked good the whole way. Diaz and Castillo have plenty more coming in the next few weeks so stay tuned. Also I’m not sure Espindola would’ve made a difference in this case, DC United just didn’t have it.
- Fabian Castillo ($10.7): He had 5 shots, 3 on goal, this weekend and was an absolute terror. It’s a miracle he was kept of the score sheet until stoppage time.
- Mauro Diaz ($9.9): 6 shots, 2 on goal, corner kicks and some would be assists, if not for poor finishing. He may not have had an assist or goal to show for his night, but it was obvious that this game was an outlier in what’s to come.
- Kellyn Acosta ($6.1): a defender playing in the midfield AND scoring goals. You can’t ask for much more at his price, especially when the defense is in peak form.
- DC United Defense: It still amazes me that DC United are in the place they’re in right now. They shouldn’t be that far up the table and I don’t think they’ll last. Consider this me marking the start of a downward spiral for DC United.
Colorado Rapids 1 vs. Seattle Sounders 0
Sigh……. It’s really hard to be a Sounders fan right now. The good news is Cristian Roldan looks really good in his new role (or anywhere on the field) and looks to develop into a high quality player. The Sounders’ Defense held up well, only allowing 2 shots on goal, but it’s just not been the Sounders couple weeks. They outplayed the Rapids this weekend, but had nothing to show for it (Roldan needs to do a couple more finishing drills). Anyways the Rapids got a much needed win through a clutch Kevin Doyle goal, however they still sit 8 points out of the last playoff spot.
Fantasy Standouts/Fantasy Letdowns
- There’s just nothing I can recommend here. It’s your best guess whose going to score for either the Rapids or Sounders and neither defense is reliable right now. If I had to give you someone to take a shot on it would be Roldan, just because who doesn’t want to root for a 19 year old who could play for the USMNT some day.
Real Salt Lake 2 vs. Houston Dynamo 0
This man is taking names and Jason would argue is a must have. He certainly made the case this weekend with a goal and assist to propel RSL to a much needed win. Meanwhile the Dynamo continued to look uninspiring and rather dull. The Dynamo were out possessed and out shot, only managing 4 shots, 2 on goal. RSL badly needed that win as well as they sit just outside the playoffs.
- Javier Morales ($11.7): I almost have to agree on Morales being a must have. He’s the sole playmaker for RSL, which is why on top of a goal and assist he can still get 3 attacking bps. He won’t be on my team for reasons of not being able to afford Giovinco and Morales, but he should be strongly considered for your team.
- Joao Plata ($9.5): The other man on the night with a goal and assist. Plata also managed 2 attacking bps, which warrants a look if RSL are going to continue this form.
- All of Houston Dynamo are a letdown, in fantasy and real life right now.
Portland Timbers 1 vs. Vancouver Whitecaps 1
First of all, glorious picture of Rivero. Anyways this game played out pretty even, with shots and possession close to even the whole game. The Timbers big play man Valeri came up big with a goal, but Matias Laba had none of it and unleashed an absolute rocket after halftime to bring it even. Both sides are above the playoff line right now, but you have to wonder with all these western conference teams hitting their stride right now, what’s going to happen in the second half of the season.
- Diego Valeri ($10.2): Valeri is the clear standout, however, with the wealth of options at his price performing exceptionally well right now, it would be a risk to go Valeri.
- Octavio Rivero ($9.0): I mean I don’t know if this is exactly a letdown at this point, but I feel like I have to say something when almost 23% of owners have him. Sure most of those are probably inactives, but there’s got to be a few others out there. He doesn’t have it right now and honestly neither do the Whitecaps.
Chicago Fire 1 vs. Columbus Crew 3
The Crew kept it rolling this week taking 6 points from the Fire. The Fire seem to be in a rough spot right now, but they followed up the midweek lineup with an even more interesting one. The only bright spot for the whole game was the play of Accam and how important he is to the team. This game saw the league leading goal scorer get on the sheet and the league leading assist man. The Crew don’t look like they’re going to stop anytime soon so keep your eye on them. Especially with the budget offers they have in the likes of Kamara and Finlay.
- Kei Kamara ($9.5): 2 goals this week to keep the tally growing. I need not say anymore at that price.
- Ethan Finlay ($9.0): an assist and a goal, plus some good bps. Again even better price.
- David Accam ($8.8): Accam plays a lot like Castillo, with pace and opening up space for others. He had a goal and created 2 bps this weekend in his one game and outscored every other Fire player. If there’s a guy you’re going to pick up it’s Accam.
- The Rest of the Fire: The Fire are literally spiraling out of control and the only thing holding them together is Accam. His sparks of brilliance here and there earn the Fire a goal to keep their decency, but the team needs to build some sort of chemistry and consistency.
That’s the breakdown for the first half of Round 10. What do you think? Did any players jump out at you who you think deserve to be highlighted? Mention them in the comments below, or send Tyler (@tbartels12) or Reid (@mlsfantasyboss) a Tweet and let us know. Also, don’t forget to get involved with the get community her at MLS Fantasy Boss and over at /r/FantasyMLS.