Fantasy MLS for 2017 is a wildcard every week. In this piece, we explore the options available to brand new players and veterans alike as we attempt to predict the round’s Dream Team. We will primarily look at matchups and form as we pick the strongest team at $100m starting salary.
Previous result discussion will continue next time.
Best XI Predictions 2017 – Round 16
- Goalkeeper – Bono $5.0 TFC: DC has struggled on the road so here’s the best Clean Sheet chance of the round. This is the first game so watch for a potential Irwin start and adjust accordingly.
- Defender – Zavaleta $5.0 TFC: Speaking of Clean Sheets, this is the double up on defense.
- Defender – Medranda $5.8 SKC: Despite a road game, San Jose has not been stellar, so Clean Sheet hunting here isn’t a bad idea. Without Jungwirth, SKC should get the offense rolling.
- Defender – Vincent $5.2 CHI: Vincent has been a great LB so far and at this price, he’s one of the better value options.
- Midfielder – Nguyen $10.5 NE: While Chicago tends to be stout defensively they are on the road playing a hot Revolution squad. Nguyen will be pulling the strings and is a definite frontrunner this round.
- Midfielder – Vazquez $9.2 TFC: Vazquez has been a crucial playmaker for TFC and should do work against DC. The upside here is too great to pass on.
- Midfielder – Almiron $9.6 ATL: Atlanta is still a potent offensive team and Columbus struggles at time. If Martinez starts, you don’t want to be without Almiron.
- Midfielder – Alessandrini $10.1 LA: Alessandrini is a potential MVP candidate and Houston has been dismal on the road. This is an easy pick.
- Midfielder – Molino $10.1 MNU: Road games are tough judge, but RSL is imploding and Minnesota are picking up steam. Molino could be one of the biggest sleeper picks of the round.
- Forward – Giovinco $12.5 TFC: Again with DC! Giovinco should be able to pick them apart.
- Forward – Agudelo $8.6 NE: If New England is going to break down Chicago’s defense, Agudelo will be part of it. At this price, he’s a great second forward in a loaded 5 man midfield.
- Goalkeeper – Brown $4.0 HOU
- Defender – Guillen $3.7 DAL
- Defender – Schmidt $3.7 RSL
- Forward – Adekoya $3.9 SEA
Total Value: $106.9
This squad is looking exclusively at matchups. Toronto and New England both have favorable matchups. Molino and Medranda are risky road choices with lots of upside. With the power teams playing on the road, it’s difficult to avoid many of the home players.
The choice this week is clear. Giovinco at home versus a weak DC United is too good to pass up. Any time a manager considers investing more than $12.0 in a player, they should be a frontrunner for the captain’s armband.