Montreal Impact 0 vs. Philadelphia Union 1
I wish Drogba came on and made such an impact that I could write this whole section about him. However, he subbed on and had more of a lukewarm outing. While the Union, along with the rest of the East below the red line, have a poor chance at making the playoffs, this win was huge with fellow competitors Montreal being the only team standing in the way. The goal would come from Sebastian Le Toux, but Ayuk really deserves the credit. One things for sure, this game showed that the Union are a team that no one wants to play right now. They’re not the most exciting on offense, but they put up one hell of a fight as Montreal can attest too.
Fantasy Standouts/Fantasy Letdowns
- The problem with this game was the final score. Montreal out played the Union, but didn’t have the sheer will needed to push past. The Union offense can’t be relied on to produce and neither can the defense when you concede twice as manby shots and double your possession. If you really want to take a chance on somebody, Drogba may be a good option going forward as he will have had more time to gel with his teammates and Piatti should provide some good service.
Colorado Rapids 1 vs. Chicago Fire 0
The Rapids have had a strong defense all year, hindered by an inconsistent CB pairing. Most people expected this to be a low scoring affair, because of the Rapids poor offensive record this year and the Fire’s strikingly similar record. As expected it ended 1-0 with a Dillon Serna goal being the difference in the 1st minute. In line with other scores this week, the Rapids won despite controlling only 30% of possession and getting outshot by twice as much. This spells good news for a Fire squad that just sold one of its big offseason signings. Dangerous throughout the whole match, the Fire were unlucky to capitalize. Both teams have an upcoming DGW, but there’s not much here to promote any players to your squad for the DGW.
- Clint Irwin ($5.4): The defense held up well and Irwin put in a good shift. With the DGW coming up Irwin will be a good option for a DGW keeper if you already have him.
- Just like the Union game this game also had little to be excited about. With the DGW coming up everyone is looking for that breakout player that will put in that performance that will catapult you into the top 1000 or 100. Some names you’ll want to check out are the likes of Harry Shipp (now that Maloney is gone), Igboananike and maybe Gabi Torres.
Real Salt Lake 2 vs. Seattle Sounders 0
Wow. Disappointing. Obviously I’m a Sounders fan if you didn’t already know. All signs pointed to a strong performance for the Sounders now that the roster is getting back to full strength. Oba hit the crossbar a couple times and it clearly wasn’t the Sounders’ day, but RSL also wanted it more and players like Joao Plata were instrumental in the success of RSL on the day. Don’t worry though, the Sounders will bounce back. RSL also proved that they’re desperate and not a team anyone wants to play.
- Javier Morales ($12.0): The PK may have been questionable, but the finish wasn’t. With more of his offensive weapons back he should continue to succeed and we should never doubt him.
- Obafemi Martins ($11.7): Some expected more after a standout performance, myself included. Better luck next week.
- Sounders’ Defense: The worrying part of the Sounders is not the offense, but the defense. With the new acquisition of Roman Torres and a seemingly solid defensive lineup, one wonders if they can bring it together.
Vancouver Whitecaps 1 vs. FC Dallas 0
Manneh and Techera have been breathing new life into the Caps’ offense. With the Supporters’ Shield race becoming tighter these two will be instrumental in keeping their chances alive. Both sides had identical stats on offense with 7 shots a piece and only 2 on goal. Those stats are worrying for two teams that have the kinds of offensive weapons these do, but all that mattered in the end was that the Caps got it done and that Dallas apparently can’t do anything without Diaz.
- Kekuta Manneh ($7.5): Manneh has been involved in the scoring the past 2 games and don’t expect him to stop.
- Cristian Techera ($7.4): small in stature, but plays big when trying to score a goal. Techera has been an invaluable pickup for the Caps and put up some big performances recently.
- FC Dallas get it together. It’s like they forgot they have one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in Castillo or one of the most potentially solid defenses.
Los Angeles Galaxy 5 vs. New York City FC 1
NYCFC was disappointing after a stronger offensive performance midweek. Poku and McNamara should’ve combined for a goal, but outside of that the Galaxy absolutely dominated. Keane should’ve had at least 4 goals my goodness. Giovani Dos Santos is also the real deal. Oh Lletget is also the real deal. Oh don’t forget Gerrard has been putting in instrumental shifts in the midfield. Might I also add that homegrown kid Zardes. Domination that’s all there is to the highlights for this game.
- Keane, GDS, Lletget: Lletget is the budget option here that I’m sure many of you have and Keane and GDS are the sure fire options to score goals. Keane is going to rise and become less and less affordable so pick him up now and it would do you good to grab GDS too. The players tell us this will become a normal type of performance and I believe them so you better believe me.
- Kwadwo Poku ($7.1): after a brace in his midweek performance it seemed like Poku and the rest of NYCFC just didn’t have it in the tank after dominating the first 20 minutes. If NYCFC is going to prosper Poku needs to be involved, but it just depends on if NYCFC will prosper or not.
That’s the breakdown for the first half of Round 10. What do you think? Did any players jump out at you who you think deserve to be highlighted? Mention them in the comments below, or send me or Tyler a Tweet and let us know. Also, don’t forget to get involved with the get community her at MLS Fantasy Boss and over at /r/FantasyMLS.